Internship in Pediatric Dentistry
The Department of Pediatric Dentistry offers a continuing education program entitled “Internship in Pediatric Dentistry for the General Practitioner”. This 12-month experience is tailored made to the desires of the intern based upon his/her past experience and future goals. This program is ideal for the general dentistry clinician seeking greater in-depth clinical experience, knowledge and confidence in the delivery of pediatric dental services. This educational experience is recommended for a clinical dentist interested in limiting their dental services to children, either in a private or public health community setting, or to enhance one’s resume and educational portfolio prior to application to an advanced education program in pediatric dentistry.
Interns participate in the everyday schedule of activities in the pediatric dental residency program. They are assigned child patients to treat under the direct supervision of full-time faculty. They are scheduled to attend departmental courses in the residency program, including case presentations, literature reviews and advanced topics seminars. The Internship program offers exposure to limited orthodontics, oral sedation and hospital dentistry. Opportunities to assist in on-going research projects are also available.
The program begins on June 30 and ends on June 29th. One position is available. Interns are covered by the institution’s malpractice policy, are eligible for resident parking permits, and can defer student loans during their training. The tuition is $31,000 and paid in four non-refundable quarterly payments of $7,500. A Certificate of Program Completion is awarded along with 1200 CEU from the UFCD Dental Continuing Education.
Completion of the Continuing Education Internship Program is an educational goal in itself, and in no way insures acceptance to a Postgraduate Residency Program. Although many resources will be provided by the selected Department, this is a Continuing Education program and is not listed on the University of Florida Registrar’s records.
- Participate in the ongoing treatment of pediatric patients at the UFCOD clinics and at Ayers Children’s Surgical Center
- Attend departmental seminars including case presentations and literature review
- Assist in departmental research projects
All UF Department of Pediatric Dentistry faculty will be participating in the program.
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
1200 contact hours. Lecture/Participation
|M-F, 8am – 5pm (excluding University holidays)|
* January 31st is the application deadline but positions can be filled prior to that date.
Notice to all applicants: Acceptance into any program is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Send internship application materials to:
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Mail: P.O. Box 100426
Gainesville, FL 32610-0426
Applicants must complete the formal application and submit it with the following documentation:
- Application (online [coming soon] or print [288 KB])
- Two letters of recommendation
- A curriculum vitae
- Scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination. The minimum acceptable score on this exam is 550 for paper or 80 for computer.
Upon acceptance by a department into their program, the following fees and documentation will be required: $345.00 non-refundable processing fee.
- Provide official copies of dental school transcript (& official certified translation if in your native language) AND scores from the National Board Dental Examinations, Parts I and II (if applicable.)
- GRE scores are not necessary for this program, but are preferred as an aid in applicant selection
- Provide a copy of current active dental license.
- Non US residents requiring a visa must provide a Certificate for Financial Responsibility form (Instructions) demonstrating sufficient funds to support the cost of fees and living expenses. Currently, this amount for the visitor alone is approximately US $71,000 per year. If accepted into the program, further documentation for issuance of your I-20 form for your F-1 Visa is required.
View all UF Advanced Education CE offerings