Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
This course is approved for certification and training in Expanded Functions for dental auxiliaries in Florida and Georgia per Florida Statutes, Section 466.024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005.
Prerequisites – Due the Monday prior to the course.
Minimum of three months of experience as a general practice chair-side dental assistant or hygienist OR completion of the Fundamentals of Dental Assisting Course. A form will be provided upon registration to certify experience. Attendance of both Phase 2 & 3 is required for certification.
Complete the following:
- EFDA Permit,
- Certification and authorization
- Medical Questionnaire & Rx Forms (All participants are expected to practice as both a patient and an operator)
- Marketing form ,
- Copy of completed UF HIPAA and Confidentiality Statement
- Complete all online assignments
Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier,
REGISTER EARLY — Limit is 30 participants, and course fills quickly.
This three phase participation course is designed to teach the auxiliary to perform those expanded functions listed below. This course will include those duties which may be performed under the supervision of a dentist and for which formal training is required.
Phase I: Online Instruction. Students must complete all of the online modular sessions and quizzes prior to attending the first clinical session.
Phase 2: Part I Clinical Instruction. Students will participate in a review of the online modules, complete the written examination and begin clinical participation.
Phase 3: Part II Clinical Instruction. Students will continue with clinical participation and complete a final clinical examination.
Certificates will be awarded upon demonstration of competency and satisfactory completion of written and clinical post-tests.
To provide training for certification in the following expanded functions:
- Laws & Rules
- Infection Control
- Taking impressions for study casts
- Topical application of fluoride (including foam & varnish)
- Placing and removing rubber dams
- Placing and removing periodontal dressings
- Polishing clinical crowns for removal of stains
- Polishing amalgam restorations
- Placing and removing matrices
- Placing intra-coronal provisional (temporary) restorations
- Placing bases and liners
- Suture removal
- Application of pit & fissure sealants
- Preliminary charting
- Packing and removing retraction cord
- Fabricating provisional crowns
- Cementing provisional crowns and bridges with temporary cement
* Advanced Fabricating Provisional Crowns and Bridges not included in this course. Click here for more information and to register.
All necessary supplies and instruments will be provided, including a four-hole slow speed handpiece with contra-angle and prophy angle, rubber dam tray and operative tray. However, please bring your own safety glasses if you need special glasses.
Frequently Asked Questions [49 KB]
- Gail Schneider Childs, RDH, MPH, Director Faculty website
- Dr. Nery Clark Faculty website
- Dr. Sharon Cooper
- Dr. Richard Kelowitz Faculty website
- Dr. Elizabeth Lense
- Melissa Orobitg, RDH
- Lorie Primosch, RDH Faculty website
- Dr. Rosalia Rey Faculty website
- Dr. Christopher Spencer
Continuing Education Units
36 contact hours. (Participation)
- 30 Participants
Team Discount Available
This program has been approved for tuition payment under the Post-911 GI bill – please call Michelle Hopkins at 888-550-4590 for details.
Standard cancellation policy does not apply to this course. Refunds, less $110, will be
|May 30-June 1, 2014 (Phase 2) and
June 21-22, 2014 (Phase 3)
|September 19-21, 2014 (Phase 2) and
October 4-5, 2014 (Phase 3)
Rescheduled from September 12-14, 2014 and September 27-28, 2014
|October 31-November 2, 2014 (Phase 2) and
December 6-7, 2014 (Phase 3)
|January 9-11, 2015 (Phase 2) and January 24-25, 2015 (Phase 3)||Gainesville||160028.001||Register Online|
|April 10-12, 2015 (Phase 2) and April 25-26, 2015 (Phase 3)||Gainesville||160028.002||Register Online|
|July 10-12, 2015 (Phase 2) and July 25-26, 2015 (Phase 3)||Gainesville||160028.003||Register Online|
|October 2-4, 2015 (Part I) and October 17-18, 2015 (Part II)||Gainesville||160028.004||Register Online|