Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
This course is approved for certification and training in Expanded Functions for dental auxiliaries in Florida and Georgia per Florida Statutes, Section 466.024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005.
Minimum of three months of experience as a general practice chair-side dental assistant or hygienist OR completion of the Fundamentals of Dental Assisting Course (p. 9). A form will be provided upon registration to certify experience. Attendance of both Part I & II is required for certification.
Complete the following:
- EFDA Permit,
- Certification and authorization
- Medical Questionnaire & Rx Forms (All participants are expected to practice as both a patient and an operator)
- Marketing form ,
- Copy of completed UF HIPAA and Confidentiality Statement
- Complete all online assignments
REGISTER EARLY — Limit is 30 participants, and course fills quickly.
This two-part participation course is designed to teach the auxiliary to perform those expanded functions listed below. This course will include those duties which may be performed under the supervision of a dentist and for which formal training is required. Certificates will be awarded upon demonstration of competency and satisfactory completion of written and clinical post-tests.
To provide training for certification in the following expanded functions:
- Laws & Rules
- Infection Control
- Taking impressions for study casts
- Topical application of fluoride (including foam & varnish)
- Placing and removing rubber dams
- Placing and removing periodontal dressings
- Polishing clinical crowns for removal of stains
- Polishing amalgam restorations
- Placing and removing matrices
- Placing intra-coronal provisional (temporary) restorations
- Placing bases and liners
- Suture removal
- Application of pit & fissure sealants
- Preliminary charting
- Packing and removing retraction cord
- Fabricating provisional crowns
- Cementing provisional crowns and bridges with temporary cement
* Advanced Fabricating Provisional Crowns and Bridges not included in this course. Click here for more information and to register.
All necessary supplies and instruments will be provided, including a four-hole slow speed handpiece with contra-angle and prophy angle, rubber dam tray and operative tray. However, please bring your own safety glasses if you need special glasses.
Frequently Asked Questions [49 KB]
- Gail Schneider Childs, RDH, MPH, Director Faculty website
- Dr. Nery Clark Faculty website
- Dr. Sharon Cooper
- Dr. Richard Kelowitz Faculty website
- Dr. Elizabeth Lense
- Melissa Orobitg, RDH
- Lorie Primosch, RDH Faculty website
- Dr. Rosalia Rey Faculty website
- Dr. Christopher Spencer
Continuing Education Units
36 contact hours. (Participation)
- 30 Participants
Professional Career Path for Dental Assistants
If you have no experience
What can a career in Dental Assisting offer you?
Click here for information from the American Dental Association.
This course provides an introduction to basic dental assisting theory and skills for pre-dental students planning to participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program; and for individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office. This is a hybrid course that includes online instruction, and two weekends of classroom, lab, and clinic instruction and practice. The course includes certification in CPR, OSHA, Bloodborne Pathogens, Infectious Waste Management, and HIPAA. Student participants who complete this course receive a certificate of participation for all basic dental assisting functions and are eligible to enroll in the Expanded Functions Dental Assistant or Radiology certification courses.
If you have experience
Trilogy of Certification Courses for Dental
Florida does not license dental assistants and there is no examination requirement. However, prior to the performance of expanded duties as defined by rule of the Board, the dental assistant must possess formal training. This certification training falls into 3 categories:
- 1. Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
- - Formal training which is required for certification in order to legally perform certain remediable tasks. Rules 64B5- 16.005 and 16.006, Florida Administrative Code, defines Remediable tasks (expanded functions) delegable to dental hygienists and dental assistants and the level of supervision required.
- 2. Radiology for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
- - Radiography certification is obtained through the Department of Health by submitting documentation of successful completion of a Board approved certification course; after completing three months of on-the-job training through assisting in the positioning and exposing of dental radiographic film under the direct supervision of a Florida licensed dentist. Department of Health application and fee is required, in addition.
- 3. Fabricating Provisional Crowns & Bridges Certification Course
- - Advanced training for certification of additional expanded functions beyond those covered in the Expanded Functions course. Per Florida Statutes, Section 466-024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005, this course is approved for the certification of dental auxiliaries to legally perform the expanded functions of cementing temporary crowns and bridges with temporary cement and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges intra-orally.
Team Discount Available
This program has been approved for tuition payment under the Post-911 GI bill – please call Michelle Hopkins at 888-550-4590888-550-4590 for details.
Standard cancellation policy does not apply to this course. Refunds, less $150, will be
|February 7-9, 2014 (Part I) and
March 22-23, 2014 (Part II)
|May 30-June 1, 2014 (Part I) and
June 21-22, 2014 (Part II)
|September 19-21, 2014 (Part I) and
October 4-5, 2014 (Part II)
Rescheduled from September 12-14, 2014 and September 27-28, 2014
|October 31-November 2, 2014 (Part I) and
December 6-7, 2014 (Part II)