Fabricating Provisional Crowns & Bridges
This course is approved for the certification of dental auxiliaries to perform the expanded functions-cementing temporary crowns & bridges with temporary cement and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges intraorally. Florida Statutes, Section 466.024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005.
Prerequisite and Limit
This program is designed to enhance the skills of trained dental assistants. It is not suitable for office staff who do not have dental assisting experience. The participant must have completed “The Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course.”
Enrollment is limited to 20 participants.
This two-day course is designed so that, on completion, the participant has the theoretical knowledge and practical experience necessary to fabricate a variety of provisional restorations. The first day consists of making single unit provisional crowns on prepared teeth and implant abutments. The second day consists of making anterior and posterior provisional bridges using the direct and indirect techniques. The participants use conventional acrylic resin and the new BIS Acryl composite resins using pre-formed polycarbonate and aluminum shell crowns and custom acrylic temporaries using different matrices. Cementation and removal of provisional restorations are also covered. This course is presented in a slide/lecture format with laboratory exercises following each presentation.
At the completion of the course, participants are trained in the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to be certified to fabricate provisionals in teeth and implant abutments .
*** Participants will need to supply specific instruments/materials.
Download: fabricating-instrument-list.pdf [67 KB]
- Luisa F. Echeto, D.D.S., M.S. Faculty website
Clinical Associate Professor and Director, Prosthodontics Division, Restorative Dental Sciences Department
- Maria Aguilar, D.D.S., M.S.D., M.Sc. Faculty website
Clinical Assistant Professor, Prosthodontics Division, Restorative Dental Sciences Department
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
14 contact hours. Participation.
- 20 participants
Continuing Dental Education at UFCD expresses appreciation to ASTRA – Dentsply and Straumann ITI for unrestricted educational grants that helped make this course possible.
Professional Career Path for Dental Assistants
If you have no experience
What can a career in Dental Assisting offer you?
Click here for information from the American Dental Association.
This course provides an introduction to basic dental assisting theory and skills for pre-dental students planning to participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program; and for individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office. This is a hybrid course that includes online instruction, and two weekends of classroom, lab, and clinic instruction and practice. The course includes certification in CPR, OSHA, Bloodborne Pathogens, Infectious Waste Management, and HIPAA. Student participants who complete this course receive a certificate of participation for all basic dental assisting functions and are eligible to enroll in the Expanded Functions Dental Assistant or Radiology certification courses.
If you have experience
Trilogy of Certification Courses for Dental
Florida does not license dental assistants and there is no examination requirement. However, prior to the performance of expanded duties as defined by rule of the Board, the dental assistant must possess formal training. This certification training falls into 3 categories:
- 1. Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
- - Formal training which is required for certification in order to legally perform certain remediable tasks. Rules 64B5- 16.005 and 16.006, Florida Administrative Code, defines Remediable tasks (expanded functions) delegable to dental hygienists and dental assistants and the level of supervision required.
- 2. Radiology for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course
- - Radiography certification is obtained through the Department of Health by submitting documentation of successful completion of a Board approved certification course; after completing three months of on-the-job training through assisting in the positioning and exposing of dental radiographic film under the direct supervision of a Florida licensed dentist. Department of Health application and fee is required, in addition.
- 3. Fabricating Provisional Crowns & Bridges Certification Course
- - Advanced training for certification of additional expanded functions beyond those covered in the Expanded Functions course. Per Florida Statutes, Section 466-024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005, this course is approved for the certification of dental auxiliaries to legally perform the expanded functions of cementing temporary crowns and bridges with temporary cement and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges intra-orally.
|Participant||Regular Fee||Early Bird Fee|
|(Expires 1 month before course date)|
|Saturday-Sunday, February 28-March 1, 2015||Gainesville||150339||Register Online|