Local Anesthesia for Today’s Dental Hygienist: Certification Course
You spoke… we listened
Based on feedback received throughout the first year we reorganized the program and made three significant improvements:
- Added new location
UFCD Pediatric Dental Center
7007 Lely Cultural Parkway
Naples, FL 34113
- Reduced onsite training to just one weekend
- Reduced tuition by $500
UF CDE is proud to share testimonials from the inaugural group of UF trained dental hygienists
“The ability to administer local anesthetic has been a great asset to our practice. The Drs, hygienists and patients are happy about the convenience. All the patients I have seen are comfortable and confident in my ability to administer anesthetic and are impressed that the certification came through UF. Thanks for a great experience.”
Heather Perry RDH
“I feel confident in the training I received from this course and continue using the techniques daily. I mostly infiltrate in the majority of areas; I do use IANB often though. One technique that is very helpful, that a periodontist instructor at this course taught, was to infiltrate just one papilla in the area of the pocket. I find this very useful for the patient who has one 5 to 6 mm pocket, especially on the lower anteriors…I have since received a raise in pay and acquired another part time position over a seasoned hygienist because of obtaining the anesthesia certification.”
Mary Laura Sarka- Sherman, RDH
“I am working in two different dental offices and I have the opportunity of utilizing my added skill! Thanks again for a great local anesthesia course, I know I trained in the best dental school in Florida.”
Laila Bonner, RDH
Today’s dental hygienist must be knowledgeable in all aspects of the hygiene profession including providing local anesthesia administration to provide comfort to the dental patient. Presented by the *ADA CERP recognized University of Florida Office of Continuing Dental Education and utilizing University of Florida faculty, this course provides the participant with the mechanics to create a positive patient environment with competent pain and anxiety management.
All aspects of local anesthesia are explored from pharmacology to anatomy and managing all dental patients requiring local anesthesia. Special emphasis is placed on administering anesthesia to a periodontal patient. Practice management aspects are provided with “pearls” to utilize quality local anesthesia administration by the dental hygienist as a practice builder involving today’s demanding patient.
As with any hands-on training course, the participant should realize that competency, and ultimately proficiency, in the administration of local anesthesia requires repeated administration and periodic self-reeducation.
Only providers that can meet ADA CERP standards and procedures are granted approval and are authorized to use the ADA CERP logo and recognition statement. Once approved, providers are held accountable for maintaining those same high standards through periodic reevaluation.
The goals of this class are to assist the dental hygienist to become:
- Knowledgeable in the use and administration of local anesthetics in all aspects of dentistry including periodontal patients
- Knowledgeable in the pharmacology, neurophysiology, neurochemistry and anatomy related to the administration of local anesthetics in a practical common sense approach
- Knowledgeable and competent in the physical and psychological evaluation of the patient prior to receiving local anesthetic or dental treatment
- Knowledgeable in the side effects, complications and the management of those problems associated with local anesthetics to maintain safety as a priority
At the conclusion of the course, the participant will be trained in:
- Scope of pain and anxiety control
- Pharmacology of local anesthetics and vasoconstrictors
- Physical and psychological evaluation
- Anatomic considerations, clinical application and supplemental injection techniques
- Local and systemic complications
Prerequisites – Due the Monday prior to the course.
- Read and study textbook (listed under Required Materials) and Course Curriculum Guide
- Complete all online course assignments
- Copy of current license
- Copy of current CPR
- Complete online Bloodborne pathogen training
- Complete UFCD Medical Questionnaire and Rx Forms(All participants are expected to practice as both a patient and an operator)
- Copy of LA Participant Form.
- Copy of Marketing form
- Copy of completed UF HIPAA and Confidentiality Statement
- Copy of HepB verification (titers are acceptable)
- Course Curriculum Guide – UFCDE-Local_Anesthesia_Course Curriculum.10 10 13
- Local Anesthesia For Dental Professionals by Bassett, Di Marco and Naughton
- Suggested vendors for purchasing textbook
- Dr. Samuel B. Low – Course Director, Department of Periodontics Faculty Website
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
60 contact hours. Participation.
- 30 hr. didactic (5 hr. live and 25 hr. web-based and self-instruction)
- 30 hr. clinical (15 hr. live and 15 hr. observational)
Program Format – due to the nature of the program registrations will close two weeks prior to the course.
* Must attend the live weekend session, pass the written examination and finish all web-based, self-instruction and observational criteria to complete the program.
Live Weekend: Hands-on Participation Schedule
- Friday 5 hr. didactic 1-6 pm
- Saturday 7.5 hours clinical 8 am – 5 pm Breakfast & Networking Lunch
- Sunday 7.5 hours clinical 8 am – 5 pm Breakfast & Networking Lunch
Continuing Dental Education at UFCD expresses appreciation to Florida Probe, Milestone Scientific and PerioSciences for unrestricted educational grants, which helped make this course possible.
For more information contact:
|Breakfast & Networking Lunch includedTextbook NOT included|
|Live Session Dates||Location||Course #|
|September 26-28, 2014||Gainesville||150020.05||Register online
|October 31-November 2, 2014||Gainesville||150020.06||Register online|
|January 30-February 1, 2015||Gainesville||160029.01||Register online|
|June 26-28, 2015||Gainesville||160029.02||Register online|
|August 7-9, 2015||Gainesville||160029.03||Register online|
|October 23-25, 2015||Naples||160029.04||Register online|