Management of Root Exposure: Gingival Recession in the 21st Century
Gingival recession, and its associated root surface exposure, continues to present a variety of challenges to both the patient and the dentist. Dentinal hypersensitivity, loss of attachment, and compromised esthetics are frequently associated with this problem.
This course provides a 4.0 hour lecture and 2.0 hour surgical lab, utilizing pig jaws, to teach course attendees how to effectively assess gingival recession, and utilize the full range of techniques and materials to address this problem. The ability to avoid surgical complications, yet successfully manage surgical complications when they occur, is also discussed. Many patients with root exposure are treated with cervical restorations. This course will discuss the management and sequencing of restoration replacement with soft tissue, and present a series of cases to support the decision-making process. A surgical video is used to demonstrate the “Tunnel” technique, and features placement of Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) as graft material. An additional surgical video is used to facilitate the “Hands-On” portion of the lab that features the following procedures: Lateral pedicle flap, Free gingival graft, and “Tunnel” technique with ADM placement.
Goals and Objectives
- Present a variety of techniques and materials to cover exposed root surfaces
- Present cases and literature that illustrate/support each procedure
- Illustrate the replacement of cervical restorations with soft tissue to optimize health of the periodontium
- Provide a “Hands-On” workshop, with pig jaw cadavers, that allows participants to perform a lateral pedicle flap, free gingival graft, and “Tunnel” procedure with placement of Acellular Dermal Matrix
- View part of the instructional video that is used in the “Hands-On” pig jaw cadaver lab.
Before and After
Who Should Attend
General Dentists and Dental Specialists. We also encourage “Team Training”, so you are invited to register your office team. They would be included in the Lecture segment of the program, and you are also welcome to have them observe/assist you in the “Hands-On” Workshop. Auxiliaries will be awarded CEUs based upon actual attendance (i.e. 4 CEUs for the Lecture vs. 6 CEUs for the Full-Day (Lecture and Workshop).
- Dr. White knows this material and is very friendly & accessible. Dr. Herminia Rodriquez
- Met all my expectations; got out of it what I was looking for. Dr. Oscar Menendez
- Very informative. Dr. Lazarus Kavouklis
Course participants should bring their own:
- Magnifying loupes
- High-speed hand pieces
- Four (4) 330 burs
- Needle holders
- Cecil White Jr., DMD, MSD, FACD, Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology Faculty Website
- No monetary compensation (i.e. “hired gunslinger”) from any dental companies – Dr. Cecil White Jr.
- Tunneling Kits – Furnished by STOMA – Mr. Chris Davy
- Acellular Dermal Matrix – Furnished by BIOHORIZONS – Mr. Charles Bond
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
6 contact hours. Participation.
- 15 dentist participants plus team.
Continuing Dental Education at UFCD wishes to express its appreciation to BioHorizons & Southern Dental Solutions for unrestricted educational grants, which helped to make this course possible.
Team Discount Available
|Participant||Regular Fee||Early Bird Fee|
|(Expires 1 month before course date)|
|Dates||Location||Course #||AGD #|
|Feb. 23, 2018 (Friday)||Gainesville||180314||495|