Teaching Today’s Learners
Teaching Today’s Learners is a new online program for Dental and Dental Hygiene/Assistant Faculty including:
- Current health care faculty who do not have formal training in education.
- New faculty who wish to develop teaching efficacy and understand learning styles and teaching methodologies that develop critical thinking skills and multi modalities of assessment.
- Practicing health care professionals considering a courtesy appointment in an educational venue or transitioning from private practice to academia as a second career.
Using an asynchronous platform, participants learn through a combination of assigned textbook reading, narrated presentations and collaborative activities. In addition instructors will provide individual, customized feedback to participants during the course.
Teaching Today’s Learners courses include:
- Course 1 – Essential Concepts of Teaching and Learning (24 hours) …………………… Register
- Course 2 – Approaches to Effective Instruction (24 hours) ………………………..………………………………….Register
- Course 3 – Assessment Techniques for Teaching and Learning (24 hours)……………….. Register
Course 1 – Essential Concepts of Teaching and Learning (24 hours)
In this course, participants acquire the skills necessary for creating and modifying courses through a combination of self-awareness activities and information drawn from the field of curriculum that informs teaching across content areas.
- Document entry beliefs about instruction.
- Write a personal teaching philosophy.
- Assess learning styles and its impact on your teaching.
- Write learning objectives for higher order thinking.
- Identify ways to assess student learning during instruction.
- Show how course objectives, learning activities and assessments are aligned.
Course 2 – Approaches to Effective Instruction (24 hours)
In this course participants build self-awareness about their teaching styles and expand their use of teaching models, and critical thinking skills.
- Take the College Teachers’ Instructional Practices (CTIP) and Teachers’ Sense of Efficacy (TSE).
- Compare your CTIP and TSE scores.
- Describe aspects of your teaching that where you feel efficacious and those areas that you do not feel efficacious.
- Describe one learning activity where you teach ordinary thinking skills and demonstrate how you will change it to promote critical thinking skills
- Describe how a lecture can be changed to a critical thinking skills activity.
- Find evidence-based resources for course development.
Course 3 – Assessment Techniques for Teaching and Learning (24 hours)
In this course participants build an awareness of and have hands-on experiences in, broadening their repertoire and use of assessment techniques.
- Differentiate formative and summative assessment.
- Critique your current course assessments.
- Utilize one type of assessment that is new to you.
- Develop a rubric to assess your own instruction.
- Design a research proposal to evaluate planned changes in your course.
- Conduct a peer observation on a faculty colleague.
Participants that satisfactorily complete all assignments in a course within six-months of initial registration will receive 24 hours of continuing education credits and a University of Florida continuing dental education completion certificate.
- Linda S. Behar-Horenstein, Ph.D., Distinguished Teaching Scholar and Professor
Dr. Behar-Horenstein completed her BA at Lawrence University (Appleton, WI), an MA in Guidance & Counseling at Roosevelt University (Chicago) and Ph.D. at Loyola University of Chicago in 1992 in Curriculum and Instruction with cognate minors in Supervision, and in Counseling. She has been at UF for 21 years has worked with UFCD for 17 years. In 2006, Behar-Horenstein was named a Distinguished Teaching Scholar and Professor. She is also a Certified Executive Leader Program Facilitator. Behar-Horenstein has over 100 publications including books, book chapters and journal articles including 19 articles related to faculty development and pedagogy and 10 specifically on faculty development among dental educators. She served as the Section Chair for Educational Research and Curriculum Development for ADEA and on the Board of Editors for the Journal of Dental Education. Currently, Behar-Horenstein is the co-Project Director of a $2.5 million, HRSA grant with Dr. Frank Catalanotto, and a co-investigator with Dr. Catalanotto on a $3.5 million pre-doctoral HRSA grant at the University of Florida’ College of Dentistry. There she studies the impact of interventions on: 1. faculty teaching; 2. faculty and student development of culturally competency and ethical sensitivity; 3. teaches faculty about pedagogy, as well as pre-doctoral dental students about cultural competency.
- Gail Schneider Childs, R.D.H., M.P.H.
Gail Schneider Childs is a faculty member of University of Florida College of Dentistry, Department of Community and Behavioral Sciences. She currently serves as the Director of Curriculum and Instruction in the Office of Education. Her curricular responsibilities include curriculum management, instructional design, instructional evaluation, and faculty development. Gail has a degree in Dental Hygiene from Tallahassee Community College, a Bachelor of Science in Community Health Education from Florida State University and a Master’s in Public Health from Emory University. She also has an advanced training and certification in Geriatrics and Gerontology from the University of Florida Geriatric Education Center, and in Health Professions Curriculum and Instructional Leadership from the University of Florida College of Education. Gail has been involved in Dental and Dental Hygiene education for over 25 years. Her educational research interests focus on student learning, active-teaching methodologies and faculty development.
Continuing Education Units
24 CEUs per course. Online.
- $495 per course.
- If you are a Dental/ Dental Hygiene/Assistant faculty in Florida, please contact Michelle Hopkins at email@example.com regarding eligibility for HRSA grant pricing. (Place “TTL discount eligibility” in the subject line.)
|Course 1 – Essential Concepts of Teaching and Learning||Online||$495||Register|
|Course 2 – Approaches to Effective Instruction||Online||$495||Register|
|Course 3 – Assessment Techniques for Teaching and Learning||Online||$495||Register|