There is emerging evidence to support the existence of a two-way relationship between some systemic diseases and periodontitis, with systemic inflammation increasing the risk for periodontitis, and periodontal inflammation negatively affecting systemic health. Understanding of this relationship and incorporating strategies for chair side screening and making appropriate referrals and management of these patients will help dental care providers to better address patients’ oral and overall health and will also strengthen the role of dental hygienist as an integral component of the interdisciplinary healthcare.
Overview of the New Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions:
A new periodontal classification system emerged from the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) and the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP) 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions. This new classification system will allow dental hygienists and dentists to individualize periodontal care for the patients and address multidimensional factors to provide comprehensive therapy and to improve the oral health outcomes.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- The circular relationship between systemic diseases and periodontal disease: Explain the underlying mechanism linking systemic diseases and periodontitis.
- – Dental management, screening and educating patients with systemic and periodontal diseases: Describe how dentists and hygienists can incorporate strategies to screen and identify patients with undiagnosed diabetes and make the necessary referral and educate them on oral-systemic link to present dental care in the framework of overall health.
- – The 2018 Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions: Overview of the new periodontal classification with focus on the case based review of the multidimensional staging and grading system for the periodontitis diagnosis.
Meet the Speaker: Maninder Kaur, BDS, MPH, MS
Dr. Maninder Kaur is an Assistant Professor and Predoctoral Periodontal Program Director in the Department of Periodontology, at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Dentistry. She received her dental degree from SGRD Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, India (2003) and received her Master’s in Public Health (2008), Masters in Clinical Dentistry and completed Residency Program in Periodontics (2013) from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Dr. Kaur is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and lectures on clinical periodontics, inter-relationship between oral and systemic health and dental implantology.
- Zoom Webinar
- 2 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $69
- University of Florida Continuing Dental Education
- CE email: firstname.lastname@example.org
11AM (EST), 10AM (CST), 8AM (PST)
WEBINAR CANCELLATION POLICY: Full refunds will be issued to registrants who cancel their registration no later than 48 hours before the course starting date/time. A 50% refund will be issued to registrants who cancel 48-24 hours before the course starting date/time. No refunds will be issued for registrants who does not login to the webinar or who cancels within 24 hours of the course starting date/time. Participants may phone the Continuing Education office to cancel, but a written request which includes the name and phone number of the person who paid for the course must be received by our office before a refund can be processed. This request can be emailed to email@example.com.