Cone Beam Computed Tomography: Interpretation Clerkship
This course offers a 2 day clerkship opportunity to observe and learn the basic principles of CBCT imaging in dentistry and interpretation, including live lectures by Board Certified Oral & Maxilofacial Radiologist, Prosthodontist, and Endodontist. The clerkship will provide a general overview of the interpretation process through hands-on experience with several maxillofacial CBCT cases. Participants will be trained on the use of software and become competent in the reformation of images in multiple planes and cross-correlation of anatomy and variants.
Participants will be trained in interpretation using several cases with a variety of maxillofacial and related pathology, including TMD. This is a radiology interpretation experience, no specific training in implant placement will be provided. The clerkship includes lectures on the physics and biology of radiation, basics of interpretation of maxillofacial pathology, CT anatomy, variants, artifacts, protocols, indications, contraindications, doses, and position papers from different specialty groups. Participants may bring up to two anonymized cases each for discussion, following informed consent from the patient. This will be the participants’ responsibility.
Following self-interpretation, over-reads will be done by radiologists as a team-effort.
At conclusion, the attendees will:
- Be familiar with basic radiographic anatomy and anatomic variants
- Understand rationale for using CBCT and specific protocols for specific diagnostic tasks
- Be able to provide basic interpretation of CBCT data
- Be able to use two different types of client viewing CBCT software
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of CBCT
- Understand the capabilities of different imaging units and limitations
- Understand radiation safety as it pertains to the use of CBCT, doses, guidelines for use
Day 1: Live Lecture including Radiology Physics, Biology, Safety and Protection
Day 2: CT Interpretation Workshop
- Deeba Kashtwari, BDS, MS Faculty Website
- Will Martin, DMD, MS
- Luiz Gonzaga, DDS, MS
- Daniella Peinado, DDS
- “I declare that neither I nor any member of my family has a financial arrangement or affiliation with any corporate organization offering financial support or grant monies for this continuing dental education program greater than $999, nor do I have a financial interest greater than $1,000 in any commercial product(s) I will discuss in the presentation.”
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diagnostic Sciences successfully achieved accreditation for their CT units from the International Accreditation Commission. The College of Dentistry is the first dental school in the nation to achieve this goal.
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
16 contact hours. Participation.
Twelve (12) participants
|Participant||Early Bird Registration Fee||Regular Registration Fee|
|Dates||Location||Course #||AGD #|
|October 3-4, 2019 (Thur-Fri)||Gainesville||200254.01||130|
|April 23-24, 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Gainesville||200254.02||130|
|October 1-2, 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Gainesville||210041.01||130|
***NOTE: New cancellation policy effective January 1, 2019