What can a career in Dental Assisting offer you?
Click here for information from the American Dental Association.
Fundamentals of Dental Assisting provides an introduction to basic dental assisting theory and skills for pre-dental students planning to participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program and for individuals seeking an entry-level position in a dental office.
This hybrid course includes self-study via required text, workbook, and completion of the prerequisite online courses below, PLUS one weekend of classroom, lab, and clinic instruction and practice. The course includes certification in OSHA, Bloodborne Pathogens, Infectious Waste Management, and HIPAA.
This course is designed for pre-dental students and/or individuals seeking an entry-level position in a dental office or pursuing dental auxiliary certificate training.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program
- Seek an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office
- Meet pre-requisite for registering for Expanded Functions Dental Assistant certification course
Course Materials & Prerequisites
Prior to the course you must:
Read Essentials of Dental Assisting chapters 1-7, 9-12, 14, 17, 19-20 and view corresponding videos using DVD found at the back of your textbook (if available).
- Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier (ISBN-10:1437704255)
- Student Workbook for Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier (ISBN-13:978-1437704259)
- These books will be useful all throughout your dental assisting career. You can find this bundle on Amazon.com
- Complete the following:
- HIPAA & Privacy- General Awareness (submit certificate)
- Bloodborne Pathogen OSHA (submit certificate)
- Submit certificates to email@example.com
Melissa Marquez, CDA, CRDH, BHSc
- “I declare that neither I nor any member of my family has a financial arrangement or affiliation with any corporate organization offering financial support or grant monies for this continuing dental education program greater than $999, nor do I have a financial interest greater than $1,000 in any commercial product(s) I will discuss in the presentation.”
Early Bird*: $495
Team Discount Available
24 Participant Limit
*Early Bird expires 1mo prior to course
14 CEU (Participation)
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
April 1-2, 2023
Networking Lunch Included
May 20-21, 2023
8:00AM – 5:00PM
8:00AM – 4:00PM
Networking Lunch Included
Continuing Dental Education
Submit your information to our mailing list. We will contact you when a new session becomes available.
Professional Career Path for Dental Auxiliary
Your Complete Dental Continuum!
Expanded Functions for DA
This three phase participation course is designed to teach the auxiliary to perform expanded functions, including fabrication of provisional crowns.
Radiology for DA
For dental auxiliaries to reintroduce the necessary background material and fundamental principles needed for certification in radiology safety.
Restorative Functions for DA and RDH
This course provides the theoretical background for the pre-clinical operative technique course in the primary and adult dentitions.
Cancellation Policy effective January 1, 2019.