Fundamentals of Dental Assisting
What can a career in Dental Assisting offer you?
Click here for information from the American Dental Association.
This course provides an introduction to basic dental assisting theory and skills for pre-dental students planning to participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program; and for individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office. This is a hybrid course that includes self-study via required text, workbook, DVD and completion of the prerequiste online courses below, PLUS one weekend of classroom, lab, and clinic instruction and practice. The course includes certification in OSHA, Bloodborne Pathogens, Infectious Waste Management, and HIPAA.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program
- Seek an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office
- Meet pre-requisite for registering for Expanded Functions Dental Assistant and Radiology certification courses
Pre-dental students and/or individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position or pursuing dental auxiliary certification training.
American Heart Association two-year BLS (Basic Life Support) certification can be obtained through the American Heart Association BLS training program for health professionals at Santa Fe College, or any other training program which offers the American Heart Association two-year BLS (Basic Life Support) certification.
Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier,
Student Workbook for Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier
These books will be useful all throughout your dental assisting career. Amazon.com has a package deal including text and workbook at a price that is significantly less than buying the two books individually and includes free shipping. Here’s the link.
- Prior to the course read chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7, 9, 10, 11,12,14,17,19 & 20 and view corresponding videos (using DVD found at the back of your textbook.)
- Complete the following
- HIPAA Complete and print the certificate
- Confidentiality Statement Complete, print and sign the statement
- Bloodborne Pathogen OSHA – Complete and print certificate
- Melissa Orobitg, CDA, CRDH, BHSc, Director
- “I declare that neither I nor any member of my family has a financial arrangement or affiliation with any corporate organization offering financial support or grant monies for this continuing dental education program greater than $999, nor do I have a financial interest greater than $1,000 in any commercial product(s) I will discuss in the presentation.”
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
14 contact hours. Participation.
- 30 participants.
Team Discount Available
|Participant||Regular Fee||Early Bird Fee|
|(Expires 1 month before course date)|
|July 13-14, 2019||Gainesville||200020.01|
|February 22-23, 2020||Gainesville||200020.02|
|July 18-19, 2020||Gainesville||210035.01|
Please see NEW cancellation policy effective January 1, 2019