Fundamentals of Dental Assisting
What can a career in Dental Assisting offer you?
Click here for information from the American Dental Association.
This course provides an introduction to basic dental assisting theory and skills for pre-dental students planning to participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program; and for individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office. This is a hybrid course that includes self-study via required text, workbook, DVD and completion of the prerequiste online courses below, PLUS one weekend of classroom, lab, and clinic instruction and practice. The course includes certification in OSHA, Bloodborne Pathogens, Infectious Waste Management, and HIPAA.
Students who complete this course receive a certificate of participation for all introductory dental assisting skills needed to be considered for an “on-the-job trained or OJT” position in a dental office. Completion of this course is a pre-requisite for the Expanded Functions Dental Assistant and/or Radiology certification courses offer by UFCD Continuing Dental Education Department. Individuals who have completed the UFCD Professional Career Path for Dental Assistants program (Fundamentals, EFDA, and Radiology) or who are trained on the job, and who have a minimum of 3,500 hours of approved work experience may apply to take the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) credentialing exam. An alternative pathway for DANB CDA exam eligibility is to complete a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited dental assisting program such as the ten-month Dental Assisting Program offered at Santa Fe College, Gainesville, Florida. The successful completion of such a program provides eligibility for the DANB CDA exam immediately upon graduation and without the requisite 3,500 hours of approved dental assisting work experience.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Participate in the UFCD Dental Clinic Volunteer Program
- Seek an entry-level dental assisting position in a dental office
- Meet pre-requisite for registering for Expanded Functions Dental Assistant and Radiology certification courses
Pre-dental students and/or individuals seeking an entry-level dental assisting position or pursuing dental auxiliary certification training.
American Heart Association two-year BLS (Basic Life Support) certification can be obtained through the American Heart Association BLS training program for health professionals at Santa Fe College, or any other training program which offers the American Heart Association two-year BLS (Basic Life Support) certification.
Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier,
Student Workbook for Essentials of Dental Assisting, 5th or 6th Edition, Robinson and Bird, Elsevier
These books will be useful all throughout your dental assisting career. Amazon.com has a package deal including text and workbook at a price that is significantly less than buying the two books individually and includes free shipping. Here’s the link.
- Prior to the course read chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7, 9, 10, 11,12,14,17,19 & 20 and view corresponding videos (using DVD found at the back of your textbook.)
- Complete the following
- HIPAA Complete and print the certificate
- Confidentiality Statement Complete, print and sign the statement
- Bloodborne Pathogen OSHA – Complete and print certificate
- Melissa Orobitg, CDA, CRDH, BHSc, Director
- “I declare that neither I nor any member of my family has a financial arrangement or affiliation with any corporate organization offering financial support or grant monies for this continuing dental education program greater than $999, nor do I have a financial interest greater than $1,000 in any commercial product(s) I will discuss in the presentation.”
- Glenda Guarino, CDA, BPM, MHA
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
14 contact hours. Participation.
- 30 participants.
Frequently Asked Questions
Team Discount Available
|Participant||Regular Fee||Early Bird Fee|
|(Expires 1 month before course date)|
|July 8-9, 2017||Gainesville||180018.02|
|February 24-25, 2018||Gainesville||180248.01|
|July 14-15, 2018||Gainesville||180248.02|
Standard cancellation policy does not apply to this course. Refunds, less $110, will be processed for registrants who cancel less than 14 days before the course starting date.
Refunds cannot be given for cancellations on or after the course starting date.